Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Peter Carr Johnston to Secretary of the War Department, April 13, 1813

[Peter Carr Johnston at Abingdon, Virginia, to Hon: Secretary of the War Department (John Armstrong, Jr., 1758-1843), April 18, 1813. US National Archives, Record Group 94: Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1984; Series: Letters Received, 1805 - 1889. Link here.

Many thanks to William Myers, Mary Davy, Sally Young and Sue Davis for their ongoing research collaboration.]

                                           Abingdon April 18th 1813

Sir,

This morning's mail brought me a notification of my appointment to the rank of Third Lieutenant in the army of the United States. In the present situation of our country, every citizen is loudly called on to exert himself in support of a government engaged in defending the rights and liberty so dear to free men: and it affords me pleasure that I have an opportunity of exerting myself to render some service to my country. I accept of the appointment without hesitation, and think myself fortunate in having it conferred on me.

                        I have the honor to be, with the highest consideration
                                                                 Your's -                             
                                                                      Peter C. Johnston
                                                                      3rd Lieut. 12th Reg: Inf:

Hon: Secretary of the
War Department

[Peter Carr Johnston (1793-1877).]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires