Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Erik Donald France to Wallace Fowlie, August 23, 1989

[Though earlier I'd donated to Duke letters from Wallace Fowlie (1908-1998) to me, more recently, in sorting through my files, I came across photocopies of at least some of the letters I wrote to him. Here's another one of them, from when I lived near Little River Church Road in Hurdle Mills, North Carolina. Ellipses indicate slight editing (deletion of a few personal details). For his other letters, please see Wallace Fowlie Papers, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University. Here's a link to the collection guide.]

                                           Hurdle Mills, NC
                                           August 23, 1989


Dear Wallace,

I was very glad to hear from you. For a little while, I was worried; however, it's not surprising that you chose Chapel Hill over Burlington as a place to retire. I don't know what Carol Woods is like, but I hope you're becoming more comfortable with the arrangement.*

I would love to visit you, as would [Y] if you're taking visitors. The last weeks and even the next one have been & will be hectic. My friend [C] lost his father this past month. You may have known him, he was a distinguished Chemistry Prof. at UNC ([CM]). [C] and his wife [J] are now travelling in France & Italy, a trip they had earlier planned. Now my grandfather** is seriously ill, so [Y] & I are going to drive my mother to Pennsylvania to see him. 

Things will have calmed by next week at this time. I shall give you a call; but please write if you'd like. 

([B] mentioned the pleasant evening he had with you).

If you're not taking visitors, perhaps we can go to Pyewackett [Pyewacket]*** or somewhere. Remember that Chapel Hill has been my hangout for the past 10 years!  

I hope you are doing well, Wallace. Please take care & be at ease. If you ever need anything, please call me at work or home at any time. Hope to see you soon.  

Affectionately Yours,
Erik

[*750 Weaver Dairy Road, Chapel Hill. 

**Eugene Levering Shaffer (November 4, 1909-October 7, 1989).

**Pyewacket Restaurant at 431 West Franklin Street. It ran from the late 1970s until the early 2000s. Situated near where I'd worked at Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill earlier in the 1980s, my favorites included ahead-of-their-time salads like the Morning Star with zesty dressings such as Umeboshi Plum, Lemon Tamari and Moutarde de Meaux. "Seasonal Eclectic Cuisine." Fantastic!] 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires