Thursday, September 14, 2017

Lucy Hopkins Johnston Ambler to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie, May 16, 1820

[Lucy Hopkins Johnston Ambler at Botetourt [Springs], Virginia, to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie at [Pharsalia,] "Care of Mr. William Massie Roses Mills Nelson Va.," May 16, 1820. Postmarked Big Lick Va., May 17th, 1820. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.] 

My dear Sally

Mr. Ambler was unable to get Mr. Meade to come over and
papa has desired me to write and let you know of it as he promised
you he would.

I have been here nearly three weeks. I came with brother Edward as Mr. Ambler was too much engaged to come himself. He has just arrived and we are to set off home the day after to morrow.

O my dear Sally what a shock it was to hear of my dear mother’s death for my friends in Richmond would not let me know how ill she was before the birth of my child and after that they hated to shock me so much.

When brother Edward arrived I had that day received a letter from Frances mentioning mama's danger and it was my intention to have gone over with him as I expected him daily at that time, to see mama as I had no idea but she would live three or four weeks longer.

Whenever I look at her dear children the tears come into my eyes to think of their dreadful loss for what a mother she was to them and us. I am sorry that papa is so unwilling to part with his children as it would be so much to their advantage.

For poor little Martha I feel more uneasiness than the rest. You know what a temper she has and being left to the servants they will alternately indulge and cross her in her wishes and that is enough to ruin the sweetest temper in the world.

Papa talks of get[t]ing a housekeeper and if he should succeed in get[t]ing one the children will be very apt not to let her govern them. I have tried to prevail on papa to let Martha go home with me, but he thinks it too far off.

I wish you Lucy and Frances would try and get him to let her stay with you as much as possible as then he could see her often.

I am very anxious to return by Lynchburg and your house but that will be entirely out of my power as the distance is much greater and besides we have plough horses in the carriage.

I hope the next time I come over that I will be able to spend some time with you all as I shall ever feel attached to all my dear mother’s relations as they have ever given me the greatest proof of attachment.

You were talking a few summers ago of visiting Fauquier and as you generally go some where in the summer I am sure that nothing would give us more pleasure than to see you and Mr. Massie.

Do my dear Sally try and come over at it is only four days ride indeed you could get to our house the fourth day to dinner.

I hope you will write to me soon and direct to Farmville and I shall be punctual in answering your letter.

Remember me to Mr. Massie his Fathers' and brother Toms' family and believe me to be yours affectionately
                                                         LHA

[Checked against a transcript as rendered in Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. XXIII, No. 2 (April 1915), pages 186-187. 

Lucy Ambler = Lucy Hopkins Johnston (1800-1888) married Thomas Marshall Ambler (1791-1875) on April 14, 1819. Their main abode was "Morven," Fauquier County, Virginia, from about 1820 on. For a link, see here

Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828) was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). Their son Thomas "Tommo" James Massie (1817-1877) was born on March 23, 1817.There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.

Mr. Meade = not sure who this is.

Papa = Charles Johnston (1769-1833).


Mother (stepmother) = Elizabeth "Eliza" Prentiss "Betsy" Steptoe Johnston (1783-March 28, 1820). The Panic of 1819 and abrupt relocation away from Sandusky, Lynchburg, to Botetourt Springs seem to have broken her spirits and led to an early death.


Brother Edward = Edward Pickett Johnston (1798-1893).


Frances = Frances "Fanny" Callaway Steptoe Langhorne (1798-1832) married Henry Scarsbrook Langhorne (1790-1854) on March 13, 1816. Their son John "Jack" Scarsbrook Langhorne (1817-1896) was born on June 1, 1817 (in later years, sometimes changed to 1818 or 1819). Their son William Maurice “Wee” aka "Billy" Langhorne (1818-1900) was born on June 30, 1818.


My child = Lucy Letitia Ambler (January 29, 1820-1853), 

Poor little Martha = Martha Butler Johnston (1814-1836).

Lucy = Lucy = Lucinda "Lucy" Steptoe Penn (1795-1878), married to Robert "Bob" Cowan Penn (1789-1856).


His father = Thomas Massie I (1747-1834), married to Sarah Cocke Massie (1760-1838).


His brother Tom = Thomas Massie II (1782-1864), married to Lucy Waller Massie (1791-1822).]


[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires