Monday, August 14, 2017

Frances "Fanny" Callaway Steptoe Langhorne to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie, July 4, 1816

[Frances "Fanny" Callaway Steptoe Langhorne at New Canton, Virginia, to Sarah "Sally" Tate Steptoe Massie [at Pharsalia, near] Rose’s Mill, Nelson County, Virginia, February 9, 1816. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

                                         New Canton  July 4th 1816
My dear Sally

Some time has elapsed since I have had the satisfaction of hearing from you, from what cause is it Sally? [Y]ou appear to have entirely forgotten me, think not that it gives me no unhappiness; but I will not dwell too long on that subject.

You will see where I am from the date of this letter. I came to a great Ball but was taken very sick so much so that I was obliged to leave the room; indeed I think I am much better employed in writing to you, I was not wiling [willing] to go to the Barbecue as they call it; but Mary Deane insisted on my taking charge of her, don't you think I am a sweet honey for that office[?] 

I have seen Jane Harrison to day she is a very considerable bell[e] she is very handsome and has two beaus waiting on her Wm Randolph and Edwin Turpin poor Edwin shews age as much as any young man you know. 

I have seen Lucy Trent once since I came down you never saw any person so much delighted to see anything as she was to see me, she has two children.

I saw Mrs. Copeland and Billy to day they are very much broken indeed; it is very remarkable that those tales have never been heard of, but by few, and those few, believe them not.

I have gotton [gotten] to a very excelent [excellent] neighbourhood. I have two neighbours that I am very partial to Major Deane's family and Mr. Anderson's. Mr. Page lives with Major Deane still Jane has one child and is very lusty.

I have a great many friends in this part of the world. Mr. Langhorne is very much beloved but I do not feel that ease which I have neen accustomed to, I am at present at Mr. Payne's both him and his wife are very amiable people they are good friends of Harry's.

I expect to go to Papa's after harvest, I wish you would meet me there, I am quite anxious to see you, we shall return by Mr. Charles Irvine's and I wish very much to visit you if I have it in my power.

Harry joins me in love to yourself and Mr. Massie.
                                             I am your affectionate sister
                                                             Frances

Do not let me have to jog your memory about writing to me this letter is not as long as I wish but my hand trembles so I can't say half that I wish.                                                    Frances

[Sally = Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828), who was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.

Frances Callaway “Fanny” Steptoe (1798-1832) was seventeen years old when she wrote this letter. On March 13, 1816, she married Henry "Harry" Scarsbrook Langhorne (1790-1854).

Their father = James Steptoe (1750-1826), whose home base was “Federal Hill.” Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866) later painted his portrait here. See this link. The Federal Hill estate was located very close to New London and also Lynchburg, Virginia; about three miles or so away from Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. Was in Bedford County, but now it’s in Campbell County. Picture here.

Mary Deane and Major Deane = the Deane family, of Irish descent, was situated in Cartersville. One of their abodes was "the Deanery." Major Thomas B. Deane died in 1824. Francis B. Deane (1770-1860), Francis B. Deane, Jr. (1796-1868), Elizabeth H. Deane (circa 1805-1836) and presumably Mary Deane were all part of the same clan. Dr. Francis Henry Deane (circa 1810-1870) was probably also part of the same crew; he attended over Charles Irving Thornton (1841-1842), who was buried in what is now the Cumberland State Forest, afterwards successfully soliciting for an epitaph from Charles Dickens (1812-1870) to inscribe on the child's tombstone.

Jane Harrison and William Randolph = Jane Cary Harrison (1797-1883) married William Fitzhugh Randolph (1798-1859) in 1817. Their house, built not too long after their wedding, was dubbed "Merven." The land had been purchased from Cary and Sarah Mitchell. 

Poor Edwin = Edwin Durock Turpin (1783-1868). 

Lucy Trent = Lucy Ann Cunningham Trent (d. 1835) married Dr. John Trent (1788-1862) in 1812; they resided at "Trenton," now within the Cumberland State Forest.

Jane and Mr. Page = Jane B. Deane Page, married Henry Page (1785-1845) of Ca Ira, Virginia, in 1813. "One child" = Mary Cary "Polly" Page (1814-1880), who later married George Wilson McPhail (1815-1871). 

Mrs. Copeland and Billy, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Payne, Charles Irvine = unsure who they are at this juncture.]


[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires