Monday, May 29, 2017

Frances Callaway Steptoe Langhorne to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie, circa December 1, 1816

[Frances Callaway Steptoe Langhorne at Spring-field, Virginia, to Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie, circa December 1, 1816 [postmarked December 4, 1816]. Massie Family Papers, Virginia Historical Society. This is my rough, annotated transcription from a copy graciously provided by William Myers. Extra paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

Spring-field

My dear Sally

I can frame no other apology for not writing to you before, but that of laziness, I hope you will be satisfied with such an apology as that when you know it be one of my faults, indeed it has been my intention to write to you every mail since I left Nelson, but that dreadful thing laziness has prevented me from writing.

I have calculated for several weeks spending my [C]hristmas with you but have given out all idea of doing so at present. Mr. Langhorne told me if I wished to go up with Dick I might do so, he has altered his opinion and says he is affraid [afraid] to trust me with him, over the bad roads and it will be entirely out of his power to go with me. Dick has been with us for a fortnight past he has gone to see Elizabeth.

Fitzgerald I believe he talks of nothing but the girls, Mary Deane stayed with me several days when he was here, he was very much pleased with her. I expect Cousin Sally has gone down before this I understood Charles Johnston was to have landed her in Richmond about three weeks ago, I should like to see Miss Wormly very much from Dick’s description of her she must be a fright he says with all her loveliness he was afraid to go in four yards of her, her looks were not as placid as he could wish.

We have looked for Tom until lately but I have given out all hopes of seeing him in this part of the world this winter.

Sally can you tell what Lucy employs herself about I do call myself very lazy but I can’t think I am as much as she is I have not received one line from Papa’s since I came down he is very excusable but Lucy is not she promised to come down to see this this winter but I never hear from them at all I believe it would be better for me not to write and perhaps I might hear from them oftener.

I calculate on a visit from you and Mr. Massie next spring. You stayed much shorter at Papa’s then I expected I do not expect to go up until the spring. Mr. Langhorne has been at me for several weeks to write to you he has gone to Caira this morning he will be surprised when he returns to find I have written at last, My love to Mr. Massie and yourself and believe me to be you affectionate sister
                                                            Frances

[p.s.] Frances has not been so polite as to make my regards to
Yrself & husband – accept them with an earnest wish that you will prevail on Mr. Massie to make his trip to Cumberland sooner than the spring, & stay much longer than he first intended.

     Yours most respectfully H.S.L.
                      Springfield
                         1st Dec’r 1816
                                   
[Frances Callaway Steptoe Langhorne (1798-1832) married Henry Scarsbrook Langhorne (1790-1854) on March 13, 1816. Their son William Maurice “Wee” Langhorne (1818-1900) would be born on June 30, 1818.

Sarah Tate Steptoe Massie (1796-1828) was married to William Massie (1795-1862) and was the daughter of James Steptoe (1750-1826). There is a massive Massie collection at the University of Texas here.

Dick = possibly Richard Henry Lee Steptoe (1786-1818).
Elizabeth = possibly Elizabeth “Betsey” Prentiss (aka Prentis) Steptoe Johnston (1783-1820).
Fitzgerald =  Not sure who this is.
Mary Deane = Not sure who this is.
Cousin Sally = Not sure which Sally this is.

Charles Johnston (1768-1833). His second wife, Elizabeth “Betsey” Prentiss (aka Prentis) Steptoe Johnston (1783-1820), would die on February 13, 1820, age thirty-seven, and be buried at the Callaway-Steptoe Cemetery in Bedford County, Virginia. Before the relocation to Botetourt Springs, Sandusky = Charles Johnston estate from 1808 to 1819, in Lynchburg. For much more, see this link.

Miss Wormly = more likely, Wormley.
Tom = probably Thomas Eskridge Steptoe (1799-1880).

Lucy = Lucinda “Lucy” Steptoe Penn had married Robert Cowan Penn (1789-1856) in 1814; their daughter Frances “Fannie” Louisa Penn (1818-1879) would be born on June 21, 1818.]

Papa = James Steptoe (1750-1826).
Caira = Ca Ira, Cumberland County, Virginia.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires