Thursday, April 20, 2017

Joseph Eggleston Johnston to Edward William Johnston, January 6, 1851

[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at San Antonio, Texas, to Edward William Johnston at [Washington City], January 6, 1851. Joseph E. Johnston Papers, Special Collections Research Center, Swem Library, College of William and Mary, Box I, folder 3. Photostat of original manuscript provided by A. W. Armour of New York City. These are my rough notes and transcription, with extra paragraph breaks for easier reading.]

My dear Edward,

The president’s message & report of the general-in-chief have just been fairly read here. It seems to be generally believed that the present congress will increase the army according to their recommendations.

In the Top’l. Corps there is no promotion, a thing I desire more than any other man in the army – besides that, I prefer serving with the troops on such a frontier as this.

The General-in-chief might & I hope will be called upon the make selections from the army for the high places in the new regiments. I do not apply to him because I think it would be indelicate to do so. He knows the relative fitness of the military candidates, & therefore they ought not to attempt to sway him by personal application. I doubt tho’ if any one else, or many others, are governed by such motives, & therefore fear I may be misunderstood, & suspected of want of respect for his influence.

As you are on intimate terms with him, I want you to prevent or remove such a misconception. Remind him too that I legally hold a Bt. Colonelcy senior to any other gained in his army.

I have every reason to believe that the general thinks well, even highly of my military qualities.

The recommendations of other eminent persons would doubtless be advantageous – you can tell any such as you may be disposed to engage in the cause, that I know the country in which at least one of these regiments must operate better than any living white man, & have 8 or 10 scars on the front of my body – most of them received in Indian warfare, & refer them to General Scott for further particulars, Gen’l Dawson of Georgia would, I think, help me with pleasure. . .

[Asks about family, whereabouts of Jane, &c.]

I was told on returning to this place in Nov. that Mr. Howard, the representative, who was here in my absence, had said that the delegation of the state would back me for a Colonelcy. I wish him & them success.
                                                                Affecy.
                                                                      J.E. Johnston
                                    
[Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891) 
Edward = Edward William Johnston (1799-1867)
President = Millard Fillmore (1800-1874)
General-in-chief = Winfield Scott (1786-1866)
General Dawson = probably William Crosby Dawson (1798-1856)
Jane = Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
Mr. Howard = Volney Erskine Howard (1809-1889).]

[Note: this letter establishes a close personal connection between Edward William Johnston and Winfield Scott.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires