Monday, March 27, 2017

Charles Clement Johnston to Susanna (Susan) Smith Preston, July 10, 1829

[Charles Clement Johnston at Botetourt Springs to Susanna (Susan) Smith Preston care of William Radford, Esq., Bedford County, Virginia, July 10, 1829. Box 25, Folder 5, Robert Morton Hughes Papers, Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529. This is my rough transcription. Instances of the "long s" in the original have been modernized and paragraph breaks added for easier reading.]

My Dear Susan

I am so far on my way to Greenfield having been detain'd much longer by business than I expected: I shall at present stay but a day or two there and will go on to the sweet springs [Sweet Springs] where I propose to stay two or three weeks and then pay a visit of a few days to Botetourt.

From your last letter to me and the report you make of your health a trip to the springs would not only be beneficial but is I think absolutely necessary for you. I wish you would conclude to go: if you will I will enter into any arrangement you may choose to make for the purpose. 

I have gentle horses and would either go to your Uncle Radford's for you or conform to any other plan you might adopt.

I suppose you would have no difficulty in being properly matronized by Sarah or Mrs. Woodville or some of your friends. 

I beg you to believe as surely you cannot have the heart to refuse, that I take the deepest possible interest in your welfare and that it would give me deep heartfelt pleasure at all times to be of service to you in any way in my power. 

I have felt much interested in a report I have heard generally among our relations that you were going to change your condition. I have been glad to hear from Aunt Floyd a good report of the gentlemen who are aspiring to your hand. She has charged me with a message from John whom the report has reached and who begs that you may not alter your condition until he sees you. Mrs. Floyd said that she did not understand the message but that you might

I beg that you will let me hear from you speedily: If I can see you no other way I will go down to Mr. Radford's although it would be inconvenient to me to do so: direct to the sweet springs and let me if you please hear something of your future plans. My deep affection for you gives me the right to hear them and to aid you in them as far as I can.

                            your affectionate brother
                                        Ch.s. C. Johnston

[p.s. M]rs. Floyd has charged me to take you as far as the Thorn Spring when I go home in August.

[Eliza Madison Preston Johnston (1803-November 27, 1828) married Charles Clement Johnston (1795-1832), at Greenfield, on December 29, 1822. 
Sue/Susan = Susanna (Susan) Smith Preston (1805-1857). Sadly for Charles, no doubt, Susan married William Mosely Radford (1810-1873) in August of 1831, at Greenfield. 
Sarah = Sarah Radford Preston (1806-1848) married Henry Morton Bowyer (1802-1893) on September 8, 1827.
Uncle Radford = William Carlton Radford (1787-1861) in Bedford County, Virginia. 

Mrs. Woodville = not sure how she fits in yet.
Aunt Floyd/Mrs. Floyd = Letitia Preston Floyd (1776-1852)
John = one of the Floyd or Preston cousins named John, presumably. 
Thorn Spring = Governor John Floyd estate, Montgomery County, Virginia.]

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires