Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Joseph E. Johnston to Robert Milligan McLane, January 14, 1850

Austin, Texas, in 1844. A. B. Lawrence, A History of Texas, 1844.
[Joseph Eggleston Johnston at Austin, Texas, to Robert Milligan McLane at [Washington City], January 14, 1850. Box 3, Louis McLane Correspondence (1795-1894), MSS 57083, Library of Congress. This is my rough transcription. Added paragraph breaks inserted for easier reading.]

My dear Robert,

We have just received the president's message, & I write to you in consequence of the recommendation to increase the military establishment. What that recommendation is, or rather what increase is recommended is not known here as the report of the Sec: of war [has] not yet come.

I write again on the subject because it seems to me that in my former letter[s], my wishes were not very clearly expressed -- it seems to me probable that the president may [insist?] the additional force should be small, confine the superior appointments to the army. 

In that case I would accept a majority rather than remain where I am, but couldn't an old Hero be induced to consider war rank? That would make a world of difference to me . . . I should be happy with a colonelcy content with a 1st Majority, but less so with a 2d than I now am.

So you understand my case. I am hoping to see you named Chairman of the Mil: co[mmittee].

I have written to my brother Bev: to . . . desire his friends, in the event of the passage of the bill in question, to consult you as to the manner in which they can help.

I can rely upon my old messmate Caldwell of Kentucky too. John Lee is a my true friend also, & a valuable auxiliary.

Lily continues to improve -- you couldn't keep your fingers from pinching her cheeks. She has taken eagerly to riding, & is now in great distress at the loss of her Palfrey -- the best Mexican horse I have ever seen,  I hope on every account that she will go Northward in the Spring. It will renew her grief bitterly, but will be a satisfaction hereafter, as well as while it lasts, & such a visit will be valuable to your father to whom she is, I think, next to you.

The mail is about to close.                                    Affec'y
                                                                                J. E. Johnston

[p.s.] Did I give you my notion of the arms for these troops? If not ask Abert, when you've nothing else to do, or the ad: gen, to show you a letter of mine to Gen'l Brooke, last paragraph, date 28th Dec'r.

[Captain Joseph Eggleston Johnston, Topographical Engineers (1807-1891)
Robert Milligan McLane (1815-1898)

Secretary of War = George Walker Crawford (1798-1872)
Bev = Beverly Randolph Johnston (1803-1876)

Caldwell = George Alfred Caldwell (1814-1866)
John Lee (1788-1870) of Maryland, possibly.

Lily = Lydia Milligan Sims McLane Johnston (1822-1887) 
Abert = John James Abert (1788-1863), commander of the Corps of Topographical Engineers, whose son, James William Abert (1820-1897), was also a "Topog."
Ad: gen = Roger Catesby Jones (1789-1852)
Brooke = George Mercer Brooke (1785-March 9, 1851).] 

[Illustration of Austin from: A. B. Lawrence and David Edward, A History of Texas, or the Emigrant's Guide to the New Republic by a Resident Emigrant, Late From the United States. New York: Nafis & Cornish, 1844.] 

[Many thanks to Sue Davis, William Myers, Mary Davy and Sally Young for their ongoing research collaboration.]  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires