Sunday, September 11, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, April 12, 1869

[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at [Wheatly], Liberty (Bedford), Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at [Washington City], April 12, 1869].


Monday morning
April 12th 1869

Oh Milton, why am I separated from you when in such grief? The enclosed telegram that came this morning explains all. If I could only have had it yesterday and started then!

The hours of this day seem so slow. I can not possibly go until this evening -- will be in Abingdon tomorrow morning, and will go right on to Russell.

My God it seems as if my heart would break. If I can only get to see her once more!

I realize now what hopes I have built -- when in packing my trunk the sight of my drawings turned me sick.

Milton I do struggle for submission but the giving up of my home, the parting wrench was not yet over and lo! I am called on for another inconceivably worse. But I cannot write -- the brief note that I got from you this morning was the first word I have had. I do feel so utterly desolate and heart broken.

Your Mary

[p.s.] I think I will send you a telegram this coming from Liberty. And I must send poor Sue word. If I get later news from in Abingdon I will telegraph you what it is.

[Note: telegram from Beverly Randolph Johnston (1803-1876) at Abingdon, Virginia, to "Mrs. Louisa Binckley" via Liberty, Virginia care R. C. Mitchell (Robert Crump Mitchell, 1807-1872) near Liberty, [April] 11, 1869: "Your mother [Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)] is very ill . . . wishes you to come to her at once."]


Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)
John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)

Sue = Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel Taliaferro (1847-1940)

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires