Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, August 14th, 1867

Washington City Evening Star, July 29, 1867, p. 2
[Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley at Abingdon, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, August 14th, 1867].

My dearie

Yesterday I received the batch of newspapers, which have been a great treat to us all. This morning came the book from Mr. Klopfer[?], for which please return my thanks in your most graceful and expressive manner. I have looked over it and find several articles that I will take much pleasure in reading.

The papers I read with unusual interest, as your report or criticisms on it are the leading topic of interest. The opening sentence of the report struck me as quite an elegant and dignified bit of composition.

Is it possible that Ashley can be guilty? It seems hardly credible. Dunham is a perjured man -- how can we believe anything he says. But all will come to light sooner or later.

I hope I am right in my belief that the Radical party is fast hastening to destruction. Corruption and Death go hand in hand. 

You are in the midst of such stirring scenes -- yourself an actor. Your life is full. And yet your work now will not wear you out, soul and body, as in years gone by. It is no longer hopeless work -- you have taken your rightful place among your peers.

Shall I tell you what I wrote to a dear friend who had written about your recent appointment? "To me he will ever be greater than any worldly honor can make him in the sight of men; but it is pleasant to find he is at last appreciated by others."

My beloved, relax your watchful and suspicious hold over yourself and the world. Be at peace. Let the holy Dove fold her wings on your heart.

Later. Company came in. I am very much taken up just now with such "trifling matters." The Johnston girls have persuaded me into undertaking tableaux, and we are as busy as bees. I have some calls to make, and serving to attend to.

Have not yet heard from Lulie on the "wedding-day" subject. So I can't tell yet what day has been fixed upon.

I suppose the Att. Gen. has returned, as I saw a notice of a full Cabinet meeting. Gen. Grant acting as Sec. of War. I am charmed that Stanton is out, but please defer that thrashing until [the] close of the Administration. You must not get into trouble now.

I am charmed to find Mac's paper gains ground. Prayers and blessings attend him. As for Donoho's little attempt, I like it all well enough except the editorials -- they are [as] mawkish as their writer.That puffy style of womanly conceit is insufferably disgusting to me. But I'll stop -- if I say two words more, you'll get so sorry for him that you will write for him.

I must stop and go dress up -- you ought to see me, with my lilac lawn dress white sack [or silk], white bonnet and violets. Sue dressed just the same way. Thanks to you she has looked very pretty dressed all the summer. 

I do long so for you. Come soon to your Wifie.

[p.s.] Sue sends you a bit of verse for publication. 

[Pencil note: J.M.B. so disliked politics he would not keep in a political position and returned to editorship. He hated Stanton]. 

[John Milton Binckley (1821-1878)
Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley (1838-1930)
Lulie = Lucy A. "Lulie" Dennis (1845-1923)
Sue = Sue Henry Mitchell/Michel (1845-1940)
Donoho = probably William H. Donoho (1829-1909); the 1870 Census lists him as "author" living in Washington, D.C.] 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires