Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Beverly Randolph Johnston to Louisa Smith Bowen Johnston, circa 1866

[Beverly Randolph Johnston [n.p.] to Louisa Smith Bowen Johnston [n.p., circa 1866-1867], Box 2, John Warfield Johnston Papers, 1778-1890, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University.]

Dear Sister

It is anything but agreeable to me to have to write any thing which may seem to involve reproof against Jane. I make & [?] none. But I must defend myself. She charges me with wrong towards her. These are the facts since she came here after the war. I have been doing what I could to support her. But she, with parental feelings for her children, I suppose, applies whatever she gets rather to them than herself. But I cannot under the circumstances undertake to look or to act beyond her. The younger people must look to themselves. 

Recently all that owe me the world has poured en masse upon me. In this state of things I cannot in justice and honesty towards judgment creditors alienate my means, till they are paid.

In this state of things I made the arrangement with Brother Joe last summer that he who owes nothing will till my burdens are relieved pay Jane $350- annually, which she told was her claim on house [Panecillo?]. I cannot doubt his having come up to his word. I never knew him to do otherwise. What becomes then of her accusation against me!

It is a curious fact in this connection that whilst she debates on the hardships brought on her by my failure to pay again, what I have arranged for Joe to pay -- Yet her son has written to her describing his ability and his willingness to provide for her support. But she with her [?]ing tenderness for her son will not let him perform a duty encumbered upon him above all men, and thinks, earnestly thinks, me derelict to duty and affection because I only provide for the discharge once of a voluntary engagement from [which] I have never shrunk, nor even sought an evasion.

I have written this more for explanation to you and vindication of myself than for any other cause.

Affectionately
yours
B.R. Johnston

[$350 in 1866 would be equal to about $5,000 today
Beverly Randolph Johnston (1803-1876)
Louisa Smith Bowen Johnston (1800-1873)
Jane Mary Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (1811-1892)
"Brother Joe" = Joseph Eggleston Johnston (1807-1891)
"Her son" = William Manning Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908)]

For their help and assistance, many thanks to the staff of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. For more information about the John Warfield Johnston Papers, here's a link to the guide.     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires