Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Charles Clement Johnston to Peter Carr Johnston, January 5, 1832

[Charles Clement Johnston at Washington City to Major Peter Carr Johnston at Abingdon, Virginia, January 5, 1832. Box 1, John Warfield Johnston Papers, 1778-1890, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University].

Washington City 5th Jan'y 1832

Dear Major

Yours of the 28th ult. is this moment received. In answer I have only to say that I am concern'd to understand that our beloved father left no will. In the deep sorrow that his most sudden death has plunged us all it would have been a consolation to his children to have known his will in the minutest particulars and to have done it. I console myself in the certain belief that amongst his children there will be no decision[?] of interest or feeling and that we will all unite in the care of those about whom he no doubt felt the most anxiety [--] his wife & his daughter.

The arrangement you have made about the administration is prudent and just such as I could have wished. I would hire as many of the slaves as possible consistent with the convenience of the family and the occupation of so much of the farm as is indispensably necessary to their support.

I will immediately attend to drawing the arrear[?] of pension[?] and will forward the necessary form.

In regard to my own land I am very willing to rent to Hughes. I would rent to him all the land West of Gardner including the sugar orchard I have lately had cleared (which must not however be put in a crop) -- It is necessary that the fences on a part of this land should be repaired and that an old field adjoining the road should be cleared [or cleaned] up. I would make remarkable[?] allowance for all necessary improvement of this sort. 

I would also rent to him the fields next to Abram[?] B. Trigg including the cabin & spring[.] [O]ne of the Hill side fields adjoining the cabin is in clover and must not be ploughed up or pastured. [W]ith plaster it will produce a fine crop. I would pay for the plaster if Hughes would spread it. The terms I would offer would be liberal. I would beg you V. Fulton to attend to this and to make such terms with Hughes for one year as would induce him to rent. If you do not rent to him I have requested Fulton to rent to some one else. 

In regard to the contest with Draper I have never yet heard one word. I do not know how the parading[?] ended or whether indeed it is ended. Let me hear from you immediately on the subject. I wish measures taken immediately to prove by affidavits  the irregular & improper manner in which the election was conducted at Snavely's and at Cox's in Wythe and to shew that the courts took part in influencing the people in favor of Draper. I refer to Richard Johnson living on the main road just beyond Callops[?] for the election at Snavely's and to Bell Canty and R. Buchanan in relation to Cox's -- please attend to this matter and if improper conduct can be shewn in any of the courts then go and take the testimony to prove it. I make this arrangement because it may be very important to me to shew the facts which I have no doubt exist[?]: with such proof I would certainly set aside all the precinct election in Wythe. I wish certificates of the appointment and qualifications of the superintendents & staff [or sheriffs] in Washington Russell Scott & Lee [counties].

Please let me hear from you at once. 
Yrs most affectionately
Ch. C. Johnston

[O]ught you not to send immediately for Jane & Bev?

[Letter seems to have been written in haste.
Charles Clement Johnston (April 30-1795-June 17, 1832)
Major Peter Carr Johnston (February 24, 1793-March 2, 1877)

Father = Peter Johnston, Jr. (January 6, 1763-December 8, 1831)
His wife = Ann Bernard (2nd wife, circa 1775-1865), married in 1828 
His daughter = Jane Wood Johnston (November 26, 1811-January 6, 1892); she married Harvey Mitchell (1799-1866) about eight months later 
Bev = Beverly Randolph Johnston (October 22, 1803-circa 1876)
Draper = Joseph Draper (1794-1834)
The slaves = I will seek to find names in other documents
Hughes and Trigg families were (eventually) related by marriage to the Johnston family]

For their help and assistance, many thanks to the staff of the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. For more information about the John Warfield Johnston Papers, here's a link to the guide. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires