Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Mary Louisa Mitchell Binckley to John Milton Binckley, June 5, 1865

[Mary Louisa Mitchell (Michel) Binckley at Eastville, Virginia, to John Milton Binckley at Washington City, June 5, 1865]:

Eastville, June 5th 1865

My beloved Milton,

If this epistle is disconnected and in the fragmentary style, you must attribute it to the excessive heat, and the number and voracity of the flies, who literally "bite like dogs." I believe the whole family have done nothing all the morning but gasp and fight flies and mosquitoes. The weather is hot and dry -- very dry, I am afraid it will injure the cotton. [A]nd to-day and tomorrow are holidays, and of course the negroes are all frolicking when there is so much work to do, that it alarms me to think of it. Thank heavens this is the last holiday until Christmas: and in fact, I would not have given this, but for one reason. You said that old dolt Pierpont [Virginia Governor Francis Harrison Pierpont (1814-1899)]  was resolved to send the Military off the Shores, and I am afraid to weaken the hold I have over their affections, for soon it may be the only means of control I will have. 

As for this place, I am becoming really disquieted with it. There has not been a whole week for three months that the entire family was well. I have escaped so far, but I find that a few hours of exposure to the sun make me feel so badly that I am utterly useless for the rest of the day. What I am to do about superintending I cannot just yet tell, tho' I think I can manage it by going out on horseback, under a large sun-bonnet. As yet, every third day Will [William M. Mitchell/Michel (1839-1908), her brother and recent POW] has a chill, and of course all that day is useless, & especially unable to go out in the sun.  

But enough of such comparatively small troubles. What weighs most on my mind now is your mother's [Charlotte Stocker Binckley (1788-1877)] health. When you left she was for a few days quite sick, but it was neuralgia, and I was sure that she had at least gotten over the Ague. But night before last, she had another chill, and tho' she is tolerably well to-day, I am afraid it will return, and she will not take any remedies. I had made up my mind some time ago that if she was attacked once more by Ague I would immediately consult with you as to whether or not our duty (whatever might be our circumstance) to give her immediate change of air: and I write now to beg that you will take the matter at once into serious consideration. I am obliged to believe at last, that it [is] the effect of climate, for there is no local cause here (as there was at Pembroke) and in her case there is not the least exposure. I have talked over the matter with her, and she confesses (which you know is a great deal from her) that she would like to go either to Maryland or to Alexandria. I think that if we can get the Stewarts to agree to board her, that would be very pleasant. She is most anxious to see them and I am sure would have every attention and kind care. She objects to going away only because she knows it will be much more expensive than living here, and that you know, my husband, is but a small thing to us where any sacrifice can add to her comfort, or restore her health. 

You know that by the end of this month I will (I hope) have sold the potato crop. In order that I may know what I will have to depend on in the meantime, please let me know at once whether we can have the rent which was due on the 15th of May?  

Do not fear, I am not discouraged. My courage rises now day by day, for I do begin to hope that the blessing of the Earth-Maker, will be on our undertaking. Every day I feel tried, and hope that the "fire may purify" if they do hurt. So be of good cheer my beloved; "in good time we shall reap if we faint not."

All send warm love to you, our absent one, the family benefactor, and, just now, the main-stay.

I must stop: it is later.
Your own true wife

[P.S.] Need I beg you to answer immediately? Or would you rather wait and hear from the Stewarts before answering[?] 

Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires