Saturday, December 12, 2015

Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel to Her Daughter Mary Louisa Binckley, 1863/1864

Jane Wood Johnston Mitchell/Michel (somewhere in Virginia) to her daughter Mary Louisa Binckley, 1863/1864. This letter covers Jane's initial response to the immediate effects of emancipation, which is fascinating. 

Yours of the 1st ins[tant], my dear child, was received on Saturday, and gave us all great satisfaction. It was so good in you to take such pains in giving the details of all your doings, & explaining your plans for this winter. We all think your arrangements as to house & servant very judicious, & I trust all will work well. I am very sure it will be better for you to do your house-work, and pay for some of your sewing. I mean, it will be better for your health. If you can send me your "white seam" I shall be very happy in doing that for you this winter. Milton's shirts, your chemises, & any thing for the children I will do with the utmost pleasure. I have so little to make for Harvey & myself, that I shall have abundant time to work for you, my darling child, & it will be so pleasant for me to lighten your labors, & to save you a little expense.

Milton, in his letter to Mr. Moore, says he will probably come down shortly -- if he does, you might send me a bundle of work by him. I think he will find the land owners around here quite ready to listen to his  proposals now -- they  are completely at their wit's end: the sudden loss of nearly all their hands has utterly destroyed all their plans -- they are confused and bewildered, not knowing what way to turn. To give an instance, Mrs. Holland, who had eight servants in the house, has now but one negro left, & that one a child: Mrs. H. herself can't sweep the floor or make a hoe cake. Only think of dear old Mrs. Parker working with those delicate, shriveled hands, that never knew hard work when she was young -- poor poor old lady! I feel like working for her myself. However, I may be obliged to take hold of hard work at home, before long. All the slaves have been informed that they are free and it appears almost certain that  they will refuse service shortly -- some are working for their owners, for wages, but most have gone off to the camps. Old Mrs. Fitchet (whom you visited) killed herself the first day after the negroes went off, by over-exertion. All of the men are gone from this "neck" except Castro. He is hired by his master. The three Wm. Moores, Betsy, Harvey, & I, were engaged to-day in gathering cotton at Fern Cliff. Harvey & I are picking "on the shares" in order to gain enough to make stockings & comforts. It has become quite fashionable for ladies to gather cotton, whilst gentlemen pull corn, save potatoes, & drive wagons. Tell Helen that Frank & Alfred Parker rival each other in  the noble art of driving a cart.  I am thinking of setting up a school to teach cooking "in the lower branches."


Your messages to the servants gave great delight, & they all send "best love to Miss Lou & Nelly." Betsy cried all the day you went away -- actually could not eat: she  wants you if Milton comes soon, to get her a dress, to cost three dollars, will send you the money when he returns.


I am so heartily glad to hear that Mrs. Binckley is so well & so cheerful & active. I am sure she will be so much happier & healthier in a life of exertion (of  course moderate) then she was in  her solitary, sedentary way of living. I am greatly interested about Mrs. Lizzie Neale. Urge Milton to see if a pass can be got for her. Have you news from Fred? I am uneasy of his long silence. Sue is well again, & at study. All the neighbors send remembrances to you & Nelly. My love to all. 


Envelope addressed to John M. Binckley, Esq., Washington City, via Fortress Monroe. Stamped "10."


Original manuscript in the John Milton Binckley Papers, 1816-1943. Library of Congress Manuscript Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA. This is my rough transcription. 

Many thanks to William Myers for sending scanned copies of the documents from the Binckley papers, and also to Mary Davy and Sally Young for their assistance.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires