Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Edward William Johnston to the Provost Marshal, St. Louis, July, 1863

St. Louis July 3rd / 63
To the Provost Marshal [Envelope addressed to Col. James O. Broadhead, Provost Marshal General of Missouri]

Sir

I have complied with the orders given me by Gen. [John] Schofield [(1831-1906)], up to the point of having made conditional sale of my little farm & all my personal effects; so that everything can be closed with  a few days by the mere execution of law papers. But that over which I have no power, my health, threatens to interpose one of those delays which are stronger than even your orders. 


Soon after the first reprieve given me, I had a return of chills & fever which confined me for about a week. I had scarcely recovered from the debility produced by this malady, when I was attacked quite dangerously by erisypelas [erysipelas] of the head & face; & I was barely relieved of this when I was assailed by an irregular fever, under which I am now suffering. 


My bodily condition is such, in a word, that I fear it will be impossible for me to set out South, within  less than a week. We regret it: for our preparations being all made, we have no motive of delay & are far from desiring it.

Very respectfully
Edward W. Johnston

If you wish it, I will furnish the testimony of Dr. McPherson of Allenton who has attended me during my illness. 

==============================================


Eureka, 6th July, 1863
To Col. Jas. O. Broadhead,
Provost Marshall [sic] Genl of Missouri

Sir:

I have the honor to enclose the Medical certificate required of me. It is given by the best physician hereabouts; and comes down to his latest visit, last night.

To this, if anything further should to-day be added, I suppose it need only be, that I am, thus far, steadily improving.

Very respectfully
Your obedt. servant,
Edward W. Johnston

[Enclosed]:

Eureka  July 5th 6=/ 63
Col. Jas. A. Broadhead
Provost Marshall [sic] Genl.

This is to state, that I have attended Mr. Edward W. Johnston during the last month, through three attacks of illness: the first, Chills & Fevers, the second, Erysipalas [erysipelas] in the face & scalp; the Third, Billious [bilious fever] Intermittent, from which he has not yet recovered. He is still very feeble, and quite liable to a relapse at the end of a week from the suspension of the fever, unless he is quiet, careful and well attended.

He is unquestionably too feeble to travel in justice to himself.

Very Resp't'y,
A.W. McPherson, M.D.  

===============================================

Eureka July 15/63
Edward W. Johnston

Reports as per Parole

Eureka 15th July, 1863
To Col. James O. Broadhead,
Provost Marshal Genl of Missouri

Sir:

I have the honor to report such a progressive return of my strength, as will probably within four or five days, put me in a condition to set out on that Southern journey: from which I have been several times temporarily reprieved.

Very respectfully,
you obedient servant,
Edward W Johnston

===============================================

St. Louis, 17th July, 1863
To Col. James O. Broadhead,
Provost Marshal Gen'l of Missouri

Sir:

I am sorry to have to report a partial return, yesterday and t-day, of the debility left by my late attacks. It is, however, I trust, but a casual interruption of my convalescence.

Very respectfully,
Your obed't serv't,

Edward W. Johnston

===============================================

My rough transcription. Originals in Records of the Provost Marshal General's Bureau (Civil War), National Archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commentaires