Sunday, March 30, 2014

Nineteenth Century Photography: The Case of the Double Portraits


These artifacts were in my father's library. I do not know their provenance, but do know he was friends with a man he referred to as Manny Kean in Philadelphia, proprietor of "The Kean Archives." He may have acquired this set from Mr. Kean in the 1970s.  This portrait (a tintype or ambrotype, I suppose, third choice being a daguerreotype) of a clean-shaven man sporting a medal of some kind was wedged over a second, probably older portrait of a man sporting a neat beard. 
Because this is a low-intensity scan, the bearded man seems a little out of focus. I'll have to photograph it for a sharper reproduction.  If anyone recognizes these gentlemen or can add anything to the technical aspects of these artifacts, by all means do leave a comment, or email me at efrance23@gmail.com  Much obliged!
  Outside case, front.
Inside of case, front. 

1 comment:

Commentaires